- 1 What is the Best Nail Fungus Removal Treatment? Home Remedies for Nail Fungus
- 2 Home Tips to Kill Nail Fungus Faster
Home Remedies for Nail Fungus: A very painful and embarrassing problem to deal with is the toenail fungus or a fingernail fungus. It develops when a fungus or mold grows under the nails and leads to nail discoloration and distortion. The main causes of nail fungus are long hour exposure to moisture, dark environments, using unhygienic nail spa tools, etc.
Since there is less blood circulation in the nails, the immune system cannot detect the bacterial growth and fight the infection. So, toenail fungus is more common than fingernail fungus. If it is not treated immediately, the nail fungus symptoms worsen and lead to severe pain, foul smelling odor and even a nail loss. So, to treat the toenail fungus, there are some simple home remedies for nail fungus.
[Read more: Home Remedies for Black Eyes]
But before starting to use any of the below nail fungus treatments over the counter, one should follow some pre-treatment processes, to get the best results out of them.
- Clip off the dead part of your nail with a clipper. Avoid cutting the surrounding skin of the nail.
- If there is any left out dead part, then use a medium or fine grade filer to remove that dead part.
- Then wash the nails with soap water or a foot care lotion to remove the dirt and dust from the nails.
- Keep in mind to remove the diseased nail regularly to stop the growth of nail fungus.
Now, look at the procedures of using home remedies for toenail fungus.
What is the Best Nail Fungus Removal Treatment? Home Remedies for Nail Fungus
Natural Ways to Cure Nail Fungus with Vinegar Soak
The antifungal properties of vinegar make it one of the best home remedies for nail fungus. It balances the skin and nail pH with its acidic nature. You can get an instant relief from nail fungus itching with the vinegar soak. It also speeds up the healing process of nail infection.
How to use vinegar to treat nail fungus?
- Fill a foot soak tub with 1 part vinegar and 2 parts warm water.
- Soak the infected nails in the tub for 20 minutes.
- Then take them out and clean with water.
- Make sure that your nails are free from vinegar completely.
- Dry them with a hair dryer or a towel.
- Repeat the procedure twice a day to get rid of nail fungus.
If you experience any irritation with vinegar, then dilute it with more water and repeat the same process for curing nail fungus at home.
[Read more: Home Remedies for Menstrual Cramps]
Treating Fungal Nail Infections with Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the natural home remedies for nail fungus and other skin problems. It destroys the fungus by distorting the cell membrane of the fungus with its fatty acids. It is also rich in antifungal properties.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Nail Fungus Treatment?
- Apply some coconut oil on the infected nails and massage for a few minutes. Make sure that the oil is getting under the nails and to the cuticles.
- If a number of nails are infected then soak a bandage in coconut oil and stick it to the nails. Wear socks.
- Rest overnight and take out the bandage the next morning.
- Repeat this best fungal nail treatment 3 to 6 times a day.
- Even if your nails are free from nail fungus, do not stop applying coconut oil. Because it prevents the fungal recurrence and helps in a healthy nail growth.
[Also read how to get rid of body odor]
Toenail Fungus Home Treatment with Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is one of the healing home remedies for nail fungus. It contains the antifungal, antiseptic properties, and citric acid that treats nail fungal infections.
How to Cure Toenail Fungus with Lemon Juice?
- Pour some lemon juice on the nail infection and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Then wash off the nails with warm water and pat them dry.
- Another lemon remedy for nail fungus is to combine equal quantities of lemon juice and olive oil.
- Apply this mixture on the affected nails and rest for 2 to 3 hours.
- Then wash off with water.
- Repeat this antifungal nail treatment regularly to reduce nail fungus quickly.
[Read more: How to grow hair on bald head?]
Manuka Honey Treats Nail Fungus
As honey is antifungal in nature, it heals toenail fungus by removing the toxins from the foot. It contains hydrogen peroxide that heals the wounds. So, look at the procedure of using honey home remedies for nail fungus.
How to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus with Honey?
- Drop enough amount of honey on the infected nails.
- Wrap them with a gauze. After an hour or two, remove the gauze and wash the nails with water.
- Pat them dry completely.
- Repeat this best cure for nail fungus twice a day.
[Read more: Tips to lose belly fat naturally]
Listerine Foot Soak for Nail Fungus
The Listerine mouthwash has different types of alcohols which are antiseptic in nature. The thymol, eucalyptol present in it acts as a fungicide and reduces swelling, pain at the infection. It stimulates the growth of new cells and sheds teh dead skin cells with its salicylate.
Listerine Treatment for Toenail Fungus
- Fill a foot soak tub with equal amounts of Listerine and vinegar.
- Soak the toenails or the fingers in the tub for 20 minutes and then take them out.
- Gently scrub the nails with a soft bristled tooth brush to take out the dead skin cells.
- Repeat using the foot care solution twice a day to completely heal nail fungus.
[Also read home remedies for burns]
Home Tips to Kill Nail Fungus Faster
- After using every nail fungus remedy, ensure that your nails are properly dried as the moist environment is a favor for fungal growth.
- Keep your feet and nails dry after shower or swimming to prevent nail fungus growth.
- Make a habit of wearing gloves while washing utensils and clothes to prevent fungus on toes.
- Use the socks made of wool as they provide proper ventilation for the feet and nails and prevents sweating of the feet. Wash them regularly to get rid of nail fungus and bacteria.
- Avoid barefoot walking in public places to stop nail fungus.
- Do not apply nail polish unless the nail fungus heals completely.
- Prefer sandals to shoes as an exposure to sunlight can clear nail fungus faster.
So, these are some of the easy home remedies for nail fungus. Use these remedies until the infected nail comes out and moreover, a new nail grows completely. If the infection grows further and severely, then consult a doctor for a proper nail fungus medication.