- 1 How to Relieve Chest Congestion? Easy Home Remedies for Chest Congestion and Cough
Home Remedies for Chest Congestion: Chest Congestion is a very common health condition that most people from babies to adults can have at some point in their life. It occurs due to build up of mucus in the trachea and respiratory tract which can make your chest congested. If not treated initially, it can infect your respiratory tract. When we breathe, dust, bacteria, and allergens will get trapped by mucus. This excess mucus can result in chest congestion pain.
What Causes Congestion in the Chest?
Chest congestion occurs due to many reasons. The main cause of congested chest is the accumulation of bacteria and virus in the mucous membranes. Some other causes of chest congestion include:
- Common Cold.
- Sinusitis or Sinus Infection.
- Respiratory infections.
- Viral Infections.
- Heart diseases.
- Pulmonary edema.
- Lung cancer.
- Cystic fibrosis.
What are the signs and symptoms of Chest congestion?
You can identify that the person is suffering from chest congestion with some symptoms like chest pain, difficulty breathing. Other congested chest symptoms are:
- Stuffy nose.
- Chest pain.
- Loud noise during breathing.
- Tightened chest.
- Throat pain.
- Phlegm in lungs.
- Thick tongue.
- Difficulty in swallowing.
When you see these symptoms, try some home remedies for chest congestion cure. Even though we have many over the counter medications but natural remedies are safe without any side effects.
How to Relieve Chest Congestion? Easy Home Remedies for Chest Congestion and Cough
Steam Treatment For Chest Congestion Relief
Is steam good for chest congestion relief? An easy and instant chest congestion remedy at home is Steam Treatment. The vapors and moisture coming out from stream help to relieve chest congestion fastly. These vapors dissolve the mucus present deep in throat and lungs by melting them. Hence, use this remedy to break up chest congestion and for a cough treatment.
How to Get Rid of Chest Congestion and Cough?
- Pour boiling water in a large ceramic bowl.
- Now, add 3 drops of peppermint oil, 5 drops of eucalyptus oil, 2 drops of rosemary oil to this water.
- Rotate the bowl gently to blend those three oils.
- Come close to the bowl and cover your head with a towel.
- Take a deep breath by leaning towards the bowl.
- Continue this process by taking small intervals.
- Repeat this chest congestion home remedy for 2 or 3 times in a day until you relieve chest congestion.
Other Ways to Clear Chest Congestion
- Take a hot shower daily for getting rid of chest congestion.
- Apply hot compress on your chest to loosen congestion.
- Another option, drink warm water daily which can loose phlegm and mucus present in your chest. Then, you will feel comfortable. Soon, you will get quick relief from chest congestion.
Note: Toddlers, pregnant women, people having heart and blood pressure problems must avoid trying this chest congestion natural remedy.
Home Medicine for Chest Congestion – Salt Water
Salt water gargling is one of the natural remedies for chest congestion. Salt has an ability to flush out mucus that exists in the respiratory tract. While the warm water soothes the irritation caused due to chest congestion and cough in the throat. So, gargling with salt warm water for few times in a day helps to cure chest congestion fastly.
Treat Chest Congestion Naturally with Salt Water
- Add a tsp of salt to a glass of warm water.
- Stir well until the salt dissolves in water completely.
- Gargle with this solution thoroughly for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Repeat this chest congestion treatment for at least 3 times in a day.
Quickest Chest Congestion Home Remedies – Garlic
What to take for chest congestion cure? Garlic is the most effective solution for treating chest congestion that occurs due to cold. Garlic has anti-inflammatory properties which can help to break up chest congestion. The citrus fruit, Lime also helps to clear chest congestion fast. Check out the process of using garlic for curing chest congestion.
Treatment of Severe Chest Congestion due to Cold
- Squeeze out the juice from 3 fresh lemons.
- Add this juice to a cup of hot water and stir well.
- Now, include the crushed garlic cloves to this solution.
- Also, add one tsp of black pepper powder and some salt to the resultant mixture.
- Stir well and the chest congestion medicine is ready to drink.
- Follow this medicine for 2 or 3 times in a day to cure common cold chest congestion.
Best Chest Decongestant for Treating Cold Chest Congestion
- To cure chest congestion, add 2 crushed garlic cloves, 1/2 tsp of honey to a cup of water or milk.
- Boil this mixture for some time and then strain it.
- Drink this solution 2 times a day to get instant relief from chest congestion.
- Directly consuming fresh garlic cloves also help to break up chest congestion.
Get Rid of Congested Chest using Apple Cider Vinegar
The Top 10 home remedies for chest congestion list also contains apple cider vinegar. It kills bacteria which causes mucus production in the throat and chest. Hence, you can breathe better than before and relieves chest congestion.
How to Loosen Congestion in Chest with ACV?
- Blend 2 tsp of raw, organic, and unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a cup of warm water.
- Include a little amount of honey to add the taste for it.
- Drink this homemade chest congestion relief medicine for 2 or 3 times in a day.
- Alternatively, take a shot of raw apple cider vinegar directly to treat congested chest.
Note: Don’t drink apple cider vinegar in large amounts because it may result in stomach problems.
Herbal Remedies for Chest Congestion – Thyme
What helps chest congestion? Thyme is the best herbal remedy for chest congestion and cough. This herb fights with mucus causing bacteria and improves the health of lungs. Thyme acts as a protective shield for lungs and thus prevent congestion in chest. So, thyme is also one of the home remedies for chest congestion.
Use Thyme for the treatment of sinus chest congestion
- To a cup of boiling water, add one-fourth to half a tsp of thyme.
- Soak these leaves for 5 minutes and add a little honey to make the solution sweet.
- Drink this herbal tea to get rid of a congested chest in babies.
- Alternatively, dilute thyme essential oil for chest congestion cure by mixing either corn oil or olive oil in 1:1 ratio.
- Mix it well and rub gently on your chest to get rid of chest pain due to congestion.
So, these are the home remedies for chest congestion. Use them regularly to get an instant relief from chest pain due to congestion. If you didn’t find any difference in the congested chest pain, contact the doctor and take the instructions.