Home Remedies to Get Rid of Shoe Odor: Are your Shoes Smelling Badly? Did you feel embarrassed while removing shoes because of its bad smell? The main causes of shoe odor are bacteria, sweaty feet, and foot infections. Other reasons for smelly shoes include not cleaning your feet, repeated using of same socks, hormonal imbalances, athlete's foot.
No more worries, you can easily de-stink the shoe smell with some home remedies. Even though we have shoe odor eliminator balls and other products, these shoe odor remedies are effective in killing the bacteria that grows in the shoes. Thereby, removes the foul smell fastly. Have a glance at the below natural ways to get rid of shoe smell.
How to Get Rid of Shoe Odor? Natural Stinky Smell Removers
Remove Bad Odor From Shoes with Baking Soda
What to put in shoes for odor removal? Baking Soda is the best home remedy to eliminate shoe odor. It is a natural deodorizer, and its alkaline nature helps to destroy bacteria present in shoes. Also, it prevents bacteria thriving environment in the footwear and thus removes bad odor in shoes.
How to Get Rid of Stinky Shoe Smell?
- Every day after using shoes, sprinkle one tbsp of baking powder into them.
- Leave the powder for overnight.
- In the next morning, remove the powder before wearing those shoes.
- Repeat this stinky shoe remedy daily to stop shoe odor.
- Alternatively, you can also use boric acid for removing shoe smell.
Note: Remember to remove baking soda. Otherwise, your socks will absorb the traces of shoe odor powder and becomes discolored.
[Also know: Natural solutions for eliminating body odor]
Homemade Shoe Odor Eliminator
- Take one old sock and cut the foot part from the pair.
- Fill this sock with baking soda and include few drops of any essential oil.
- Tie it and put the sock inside of the shoe.
- Repeat this method and make another one.
- Now place this another shoe.
- Leave them on the shoes overnight and take away in the next morning.
- Repeat using this shoe odor eater daily for getting rid of shoe smell.
How to Get the Stinky Smell Out of Shoes with Essential Oils?
Essential oils are also the best home remedies for shoe odor removal. The antibacterial properties of essential oils are very good at eliminating the stinky smell from shoes. You can use essential oils such as tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil, lavender oil, clove it.
How to Remove Odor from shoes?
- Pour few drops of essential oil in the shoe.
- Now, put crushed paper in both of the shoes.
- Leave them for overnight to get rid of bad shoe smell.
- Repeat using this shoe odor remover every time after using the shoes.
[Also read: Home remedies for excessive sweating]
Natural Foot Spray for Shoe Odor Removal
To get rid of the stinky smell from the shoes, you have no need to buy shoe odor sprays. Simply, you can prepare the foot odor sprays with home ingredients. The grapefruit seed extract, tea tree oil, and rosemary essential oil contain antiparasitic, antifungal, and antibacterial agents which are effective in killing the bacteria. Also, lavender oil, geranium oil soothe your skin and makes feet to smell better. So, here is the preparation of odor eater shoe spray with these ingredients.
Ingredients required to Prepare Anti-Odor Shoe Spray
- Witch Hazel - 1 Ounce.
- Rosemary oil - 5 drops.
- Peppermint oil - 10 drops.
- Tea tree oil - 20 drops.
- Lavender oil - 20 drops.
- Grapefruit seed extract - 35 drops.
- Rubbing alcohol - 1/2 ounce.
- Geranium oil - 15 drops.
How to Prevent Foot Odor in Shoes?
- To get rid of shoe odor, blend the above mentioned ingredients in a small bottle.
- Close the bottle with a lid and shake well to mix all these oils.
- Spray this mixture on your feet for several times.
- Particularly use this foot odor spray after having a shower and before using your shoes.
- The skin absorbs this mixture and leaves an amazing scent.
- So, use this DIY shoe odor eliminator regularly to reduce shoe odor.
Note: Shake the mixture well before spraying every time.
Neutralize Shoe Odor Naturally with Black Tea Bags
Another excellent home remedy for shoe odor removal is a black tea bag. The tannins of black tea bag are effective in killing bacteria and fungus that thrives inside of the tennis shoes. Thereby, it takes odor out of shoes.
How to Fix Shoe Odor Fastly?
- Add 2 black tea bags in a cup of boiling water.
- Leave it undisturbed for few minutes.
- Then, remove the tea bags from it and let the solution to cool for few minutes.
- Place these two tea bags in both of the shoes.
- After some time, take away the tea bags and remove the leftover tea solution.
- Repeat this stinky shoe remedy daily to get odor free shoes.
Does Freezing Shoes Kill Odor Permanently?
A Freezer is also one of the home remedies for shoe odor. The temperature of freezer stops the growth of bacteria and thus eliminates stinky smell in leather shoes. Hence, freeze your shoes to get rid of shoe odor.
How to Get Rid of Stinky Smell in Shoes?
- Put the shoes in a ziplock bag, seal the bag properly.
- Now, place it in a freezer for some time or until the bad smell eliminates completely.
- After few hours, check of the odor, if the smell persists again place the bag in a freezer for few hours.
[Also know: Homemade Foot Creams for soft feet]
Natural Remedies for Smelly Shoes with Vinegar
Vinegar is also one of the best odor eaters in shoes. It has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties which are effective in killing the bacteria. So, use this homemade shoe odor remover regularly.
How to Stop Shoes from Smelling at Home?
- Mix 50% of each of vinegar and distilled water in a spray bottle.
- Spray this mixture inside of the tennis and leather shoes and soles.
- Leave it to dry for 30 minutes.
- Then, sprinkle the baking powder into the shoes and leave overnight.
- In the morning, remove this foot odor powder.
- Regular use of this sneaker odor remedy can help to get rid of smelly shoe fastly.
[Also read: How to stop palms from sweating]
Best Home Remedy for Sneaker Odor with Alcohol
Alcohol is the Best Shoe Deodorizer, hence keeps the smell out of shoes. Apart from controlling stinky shoe smell, its disinfectant properties destroy the bacteria. Also, removes the dirt which is the cause of stinky shoes. Therefore, use alcohol to get rid of shoe odor.
How to Clean Shoe Odor Permanently at Home?
- Pour sufficient amount of alcohol inside of the two shoes.
- Let the shoe odor solution under sunlight or air.
- Repeat this shoe smell remedy whenever you need.
- Alternatively, blend water and rubbing alcohol.
- Rinse your shoes with this mixture to remove extreme stinky shoe smell.
Note: Don't use alcohol for leather shoe odor, because it can change the color of your leather sneakers.
[Also Know: How to treat an underarm rash]
Prevent Shoes Smell Naturally with Dryer Sheets
What's good for smelly shoes? A Dryer Sheet is the best thing for shoe odor removal. Most people feel worried to wear shoes for a long period because of the foul smell. But this dryer sheet absorbs the moisture in the shoes and keeps them dry, reduces stinky shoe smell. This process is best to cure smelly shoes if the odor occurs due to moisture.
Best Cure for Stinky Shoes at Home
- Cut two dryer sheets according to the size of your footwear.
- Place them inside of the shoes.
- Now, wear those shoes. Since the sheets are light in weight, you can feel comfortable.
- For added benefits, add peppermint oil or cinnamon oil drops to dryer sheet before placing in the boots.
Use Hydrogen Peroxide to Get Rid of Shoe Odor
Another popular home remedy for reducing the bad of shoes is hydrogen peroxide. It destroys the bacteria that is responsible for shoe smell and further controls extreme shoe odor.
Natural Way to Stop Shoes and Socks from Smelling
- Soak a clean washcloth in hydrogen peroxide.
- Wipe the inside of your shoe with this cloth.
- Don't disturb the shoe until it dries completely.
- Repeat using this shoe odor eliminator daily to get rid of shoe odor permanently.
- Alternatively, you can also use vinegar in place od hydrogen peroxide.
So, these are the DIY home remedies to get rid of shoe odor naturally. Make use of them and feel free in removing shoes in the public.